Tonight, we enjoyed all of their company for a few hours. We let them frolic outside of their run while we grilled some veggies for a new kicked-up-a-notch version of one of my favorites, Tex-Mex Chickpea Salad.
...and so, here is our official flock (drum roll please!)...
The oldest two first. Both are Bantams.
|Zappa: King of the Roost|
|Sweet, sweet Ani (she doesn't fit her namesake very well!).|
Next, the middle ones: the Polish hens...who have managed to sneak their way to momentary favorite status (at least for the writer of this blog). They're time inside the house from July to the start of September lent itself to many moments of bonding and cuddling. The first night they finally slept outside, I felt like I was experiencing empty nest syndrome.
|Sultry Ella...she really loves perching.|
|Janis ... she does fit her namesake.|
|Spinderella...she is ALWAYS flying onto everything. It's very endearing.|
|Salt...on a mission.|
|Pepa never poses...this is like my 100th try at a picture of her. She's very elusive.|
Ingredients (all are approximates and could be adapted to your liking):
4 cups dried chickpeas (soaked and prepared)
1 chipotle and adobe sauce
1 large onion
3 large cloves of garlic
2 bell peppers
juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs. olive oil
sour cream (optional)
1. Prepare beans or use canned chickpeas.
2. Cube the bell pepper and onion. Peel and half garlic cloves.
3. Halve limes.
4. Prepare hot fire on the grill.
5. Grill onion, garlic, and peppers in a grill basket. Put large tomatoes and halved limes directly on grill.
6. Cook until charred and soft.
7. Dice tomatoes, juice limes, and dice chipotle.
8. Combine all ingredients.Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Top with sour cream, if desired.
|Honestly so good! ...and so nutritious! Great source of protein for a Meat Free Day!|