Pin It

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Asparagus to Zucchini Cookbook Rocks: Two Awesome Recipes in One Week

With our first CSA box being delivered last Saturday, we decided to try a few new recipes. Of course, the first resource that we grabbed was the From Asparagus to Zucchini Cookbook. Our first delicious surprise was a beverage - Rhubarbade. After an awesome five-mile run last week, this drink quenched every bit of my gigantic thirst. I also imagine that it would be great on a hot, sunny day with a little vodka and ice! :)

To make it:
1. Puree rhubarb in a food processor or use a juicer.
2. For every two cups of rhubarb liquid, add 3/4 cup (or more or less to taste) of a sweetener and 6 cups of water. We used sucanat (non-refined cane sugar).
3. Stir until sugar or other sweetener is dissolved.
4. Serve iced. Yum!

The other sweet surprise that we had was from the same cookbook. Meet Parsnip Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing! Check out the From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce for the full recipe. Let me just say: the addition of the dried cherries and chopped walnuts on top of the frosting was perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I need to get my hands on that cookbook. I recently (yesterday) made the decision to go vegetarian. I felt like I had been straddling the fence for a while and I just needed to make up my mind. Unfortunately, Tim is not sharing my enthusiasm. So, I'm on the lookout for veggie meals that will appeal to carnivores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! Seriously! Congrats - becoming a vegetarian is something I've never once regretted. Joining a CSA is another thing I've never regretted.

    The Asparagus to Zucchini cookbook has tons of recipes and meals that will be useful for your new situation. Another useful cookbook is the VEGETARIAN EPICURE (new and old versions).

    Congrats again!!! Vegetarians save an estimated 60-100 animals per year. Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete